Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Day II

12/01

I found a new hotel today. I'm not right in the center of town now but it's only about a 5 minute walk and it's half the price of the last hotel. Today I decided that I love L-O-V-E Athens. Honestly, I can see myself living here happily. Maybe not forever and ever but certainly for a couple of years.

The Christmas parade is tonight and afterward there's a show going on that I think I'm going to see. Today I walked around the main streets and I think I'm going to walk around some of the side streets now. Looking through two papers today I got the impression that Athens is a real "community" oriented kind of place. I could be wrong but it just seems really homey. I've never in my life felt the urge to settle down in a small town. The really crazy and freeing thing is that there's nothing stopping me from moving here either. If I were to find a job here I'd have nothing keeping me back. I'd seriously miss my family and friends but that's all there is. I'm done with school but I'd like to go to grad. School, but who knows; there's a good chance that I could go to school here. I'd like to get my masters from NYU but it's not a must.

I don't feel like New Jersey will be my permanent home base. I don't mean I don't love it, because I do, it's just not where my whole life is going to play out. Since I've been here I've been writing more - this may or may not have something to do with being here. Maybe I'd be more active right now no matter where I am, but it feels good to be here. Everything is novel, I guess that could ware off but so far I like it.

I can't even believe I wrote that music review last night. I'm waiting a bit before editing it, I like a little distance. Even when I was walking back to the hotel I was writing it in my head. Something seems to have clicked in my brain now, writing seems less painful and scary. I don't know what it is but I love it. I could see myself living here, working here (not sure where) and even owning my own small business. I feel like I'd need to do that if I lived here. It's really weird because I'm traveling alone and yet I feel completely comfortable and at home. I hope I'm not exaggerating my feelings and just having a fleeting whim. Cause I like how this feels. I think I've felt it before about other things - but I don't know if it's ever lasted.

I really need to come back here again with a friend and see what Athens is like then. Plus, I'll only be here for one weekend night - maybe there are no good dance places. I'm such an ass. But I'd really miss dancing if there was none.

No comments: